Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Summer-break : A teacher's point of view

Today, I went to my cousin's house (who is a third grade teacher) and got her opinion on year-round schooling. Like most teachers, she was against it. She contended that the summer-break was a time for the kids to be their playful selves. She also suggested that a summer break was a time for the teachers to recuperate. It is a time for teacher's to relax and get away from the troubles of state standards, tests, and workbooks.
While I agree that kids should utilize summer vacation to be kids, I still think year-round school is a wiser choice. What most people don't understand is that school is no longer (as in days) during the year-round schooling. It is simply redistributed, similar to the college semester schedule.Having summer vacation is like having a cake. Do the teacher's and kids really want to eat the whole thing in one sitting or cut it into equal pieces and eat some every now and then?

1 comment:

  1. I like this cake analogy. As a parent, I can imagine the benefits of having a shorter summer break since students seem to forget a lot during the summer, but as a teacher, I wonder whether the more frequent breaks spread apart would interrupt the learning process during the year. Just a thought. :)

    ReplyDelete